The May 5, 2006 agreement between the gouvernement du Québec and the Government of Canada concerning the United Nations Education, Science and Culture Organization (UNESCO) was an unprecedented step forward, placing it among the most decisive initiatives in Québec’s international relations history. The Québec Government Representative in the Permanent Delegation of Canada to UNESCO is mandated to:
- Promote the interests of the gouvernement du Québec in matters of education, culture, scientific development and information society within the international community.
- Improve government positions through strategic actions drawing on the network of bilateral and multilateral relations of Québec diplomacy.
- Communicate and defend positions maintained by the gouvernement du Québec in various decision-making and advisory bodies of UNESCO concerning strategic issues.
- Promote and develop the expertise of the Government of Québec and civil partnership in UNESCO’s fields of activity and in reaching sustainable development targets.
- Develop and maintain institutional relations with delegations from UNESCO Member States.
- Actively participate in the work and activities of UNESCO representative groups such as La Francophonie and the Commonwealth.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions.
For more information
Last update: 2017-03-17 3:07:45 PM