Seeking young Quebecers for the Youth Eco-Forum
The Ministère des Relations internationales is seeking young Quebecers from Northern Québec to participate in the Youth Eco-Forum (YEF) as delegates or chaperones. This annual meeting is organized by the Northern Forum—of which Québec is a member—as part of its Environment Program. This year, YEF will be held in Whitehorse, Yukon, August 8 to 14.
To be eligible, participants and chaperones must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 or 19 years of age (for the 3 or 4 participants)
- Be 20 to 35 years of age (for the chaperone)
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident and have resided in Québec for at least one year
Preference will be given to applicants from or living in a Northern Québec region: Nord du Québec, Côte-Nord, Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, Abitibi-Témiscamingue or Nord de la Mauricie.
Among other requirements mentioned in the call for candidacies, participants must:
- Have a good grasp of English
- Be actively engaged in environmental activities and/or youth environmental organizations/groups in their hometowns or regions.
The Offices Jeunesse internationaux du Québec (LOJIQ) is coordinating the candidate selection process and will pay for their participation in YEF 2012 activities. Applications must be filed directly with LOJIQ. The application deadline is June 25, 2012.
Youth Eco-Forum 2012
With the theme "Climate Change/Creating Balance," the goals of the Forum are to:
- Encourage young people to become actively involved in protecting the environment
- Give young people with similar interests an opportunity to develop friendships with their counterparts from other countries
The Northern Forum is an organization composed of 10 regional governments from 5 northern countries: Nunavut, Yukon, Québec (Canada); Khanty-Mansiysk, Sakha Republic, Tchoukotka, Vologda (Russian Federation); Akureyri (Iceland); Hokkaido (Japan) and Gangwon-Do (Republic of Korea). It promotes the exchange of expertise in the field of social, economic and culture development in a northern environment. Québec has been a member of the Northern Forum since 2010.
Call for candidacies – participants (in French)
Call for candidacies – chaperone (in French)
Northern Forum – Youth Eco-Forum 2012