Frédéric Back exhibition opens in Tokyo
Québec’s Delegate General in Tokyo, Claude-Yves Charron, attended the opening of an exhibition of works by Frédéric Back at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo (MOT).
Claude-Yves Charron, Québec’s Delegate General in Tokyo, attended the opening of an exhibition devoted to Frédéric Back at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo (MOT). Featuring over 1,000 drawings, illustrations and animations, the grandiose, imaginative display is the most comprehensive exhibition devoted so far to the works of Frédéric Back.
The guest of honour at the ceremony, Frédéric Back, said that he was moved to see the story of his life told by the exhibition. The 87-year-old artist said that he had wanted to visit Japan to honour the courage of the Japanese people. He hoped that the exhibition would pass on a message of hope for efforts to rebuild Japan in the image of “The Man Who Planted Trees,” the title character of one of his Oscar-winning animations.
Several hundred people, including dozens of journalists, attended the opening. Very few Québec or Canadian artists have been honoured by an exhibition of this scope in Japan. The project required over two years of preparation by the organizers, Nippon TV, MOT and their prime collaborator, Studio Ghibli. The exhibition runs in Tokyo from July 2 to October 2, 2011, and will continue in Sapporo in March 2012.